Wednesday, March 9, 2011

So Far, So Good!

I've learned my way around Blogspot fairly well since I made my first post. I'm hoping this will be cozy place to hang out for a while.
Writing news:
~~Poetry professor assigned today that we write an elegy 
Elegy: A poem which subtly notes the absence of someone who has passed away in a manner than invokes sorrow without spoon feeding an individual's anguish.
We were told we are permitted to write about someone we know personally, or a historical figure or celebrity, but that we are not permitted to write about a pet. My professor claimed that, in essence, there is no such thing as a good elegy about a pet. There were several students--including me--who challenged that generalization, and he invited us to turn in two if we really wanted to attempt the "feat." I sent him a draft this evening, and am awaiting commentary.
~~Wes McNair, a very valued poet in Maine who once directed the poetry program at UMF, is coming to campus next week to discuss craft and form with six selected students; this list, to my chair-descending astoundment, included me. I've met him before, and heard him read, but I am very excited to work with him in workshop form. ^_^
~~Finally, the artist statement I have to complete for my BFA senior portfolio is very close to being done. I mailed it out to some dear friends for some last tweaks (or what may turn out to be huge tweaks, as editing goes) and whatnot, but once I have it, perhaps I'll display it here. It is coming to resonate with me even more than I expected.

So where are you, all future friends? Here's hoping I meet you all soon. ^_^

Happy Trails,
~Ellen

1 comment:

  1. Glad things are going well. I want to read the Elegy about a pet. I am going to guess Thomas? But it could be a number...sadly.. I miss my baby kitty : (

    and I am glad you are figuring out Blogspot :D! I like it!!!!!! and I'm keeping it slightly private so it doesn't just have to my photography. I can just say stuff! lol. Also if you go to your profile, and click the links it's made out of the books, interest, or music you like you can find other blogs where people have similar likes and stuff. If you follow people, people will follow you :D!

    ReplyDelete